Start a new topic
Answered

Copy Files after Backup

Hi,

I have to copy backup files to a secondary location over a very slow link.

How MB perform his duty if the last backup finished, but the copy process did not finish in time before next scheduled "MinionBackup-Auto" trigger?

Best Answer

Hey Oleg, this is a scenario I've seen a few times. Currently, MB will copy until they're all done, so the next schedule won't run until it's done.

Assuming this is a scenario where you're copying the full and/or diffs and it's the logs that need to run more often, then this would be one of those scenarios where you'd need to create a new job for the log backups.

In this case, instead of having it look at the schedule table, you'll pass-in log as a backuptype to the Master SP.  This way the log backups continue to run on a schedule no matter how long it takes to run the copy.

If you're having trouble copying the log backups in time then you'll either have to put up with it, or create another job that does only the copy by calling the BackupFileAction SP.  You'll have to write a small process to make sure you get all the files, but you won't break any upgrades and it's a process you can roll out to all your boxes.  The routine was build so you could do things like this w/o having to customize it.

I've already started looking into fixing this scenario in the next major release.  It'll have an independent copy mechanism.

Let me know if you need any help with the process and I'll guide you.

Answer

Hey Oleg, this is a scenario I've seen a few times. Currently, MB will copy until they're all done, so the next schedule won't run until it's done.

Assuming this is a scenario where you're copying the full and/or diffs and it's the logs that need to run more often, then this would be one of those scenarios where you'd need to create a new job for the log backups.

In this case, instead of having it look at the schedule table, you'll pass-in log as a backuptype to the Master SP.  This way the log backups continue to run on a schedule no matter how long it takes to run the copy.

If you're having trouble copying the log backups in time then you'll either have to put up with it, or create another job that does only the copy by calling the BackupFileAction SP.  You'll have to write a small process to make sure you get all the files, but you won't break any upgrades and it's a process you can roll out to all your boxes.  The routine was build so you could do things like this w/o having to customize it.

I've already started looking into fixing this scenario in the next major release.  It'll have an independent copy mechanism.

Let me know if you need any help with the process and I'll guide you.

1 person likes this

Thank you so much! I look into all those scenarios!

Login or Signup to post a comment