Start a new topic

Parallel index maintenance

Hi there

Nice job on this tool. I am evaluating the free version of it against the other free tools on the market (specifically Ola Hallengren's) in an attempt to decide which one to use for a new client. So far, the odds are favorable to MR. However, one of the issues I am faced with is the limited amount of time I have for the maintenance window. Currently, for my other clients, I used the parallel maintenance operations that's available in OH's solution (using @DatabasesInParallel parameter). Is there a similar option in MR? Not a deal breaker, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere and it'll help us greatly in this specific case.

Thanks,

Alin Selicean

Hey Alin,

I'm glad you're including us in your testing.

Currently we don't have parallel ops, but it's coming in V.2.  However, if you're having trouble getting your maint window done in time, take a look at our PrepOnly feature.

I'm here to answer any Qs you have so don't hesitate to reach out again.

Hi Sean

Thanks for the reply, that's really good news. The @PrepOnly is what won me over, so I will definitely give it a full try in the upcoming weeks. We are having a 6TB Dynamics AX database, so a lot of large tables involved.

I look forward to v2.

Regards,

Alin

Y it's also easy to order tables and DBs, as well as excluding them.

I find that helps with large DBs.

Totally agree. 

Any ETA on v2? We could really boost the maintenance and use the maintenance window more efficiently if we could start more maintenance jobs in parallel. 

Thanks.

Alin

I’m not entirely sure, but it shouldn’t be too long now. V2 has a lot more features so I’m trying to get everything worked out well. I have to go back through it, but a while back I found a bug in the parallel run that I need to work out. However, not only will you be able to process many DBs at once, but also many tables per DB too.

1 person likes this

Hi Sean. Me again :)

I deployed the Reindex module and I was looking at the documentation and I noticed that it doesn't seem possible to just run UPDATE STATS, no REORG no REBUIL. Just UPDATE STATS.

We currently have daily UPDATE STATS only, REORGs on selected tables and weekly REBUILDs and we'd like to be able to preserve this.

Is it just me or is not possible indeed?

Thanks,

Alin

Hey Alin,

Y currently you have to run a reorg to get stats rebuilt, but it's built into V2 which I'm actively working on.

1 person likes this

Thanks.

Login or Signup to post a comment