Start a new topic

File delete error

I am getting a 'FILE DELETE ERROR' during the backup process. It seems strange to see that error since the files are actually deleted on disk. I have looked at the full error in the Warnings field of the BackupLogDetails table and nothing looks wrong in the PowerShell command that is used to remove the file(s). Can you think of any reason this would be happening? I am on Minion Backup v 1.4.

If you need more information, let me know. Thanks in advance!

After a little bit more digging, I have found that the process is actually deleting files prematurely. In the Minion.BackupFiles table I see that when the process runs on the hour, it is deleting files that are not supposed to be deleted until 30 minutes after the hour. See attachment.

I am still unsure why this is happening. Again, thanks in advance.

Hey Matt,

I actually need a little more data.  Can you show me more of the table's cols?  perhaps put it in excel...

Did you want the columns from the Minion.BackupFiles table or another table? What email should I send this file?

Yeah, from backupfiles... and you just need to send the rows in question.

sean at midnightdba.com

Sending now, thanks!

I'll take a look at the code, but I bet it's only counting the hours so I bet it's doing what it's supposed to.  Let me see though. 

I do know though that when the ToBeDeleted date is written it just takes the ExecutionDateTime and adds 24hrs.

As a workaround right now, you can just increase it from 24 to 25 hrs.

The ToBeDeleted col is there just for you.  When the routine runs it doesn't look at that.  It looks at the current time and calculates whether the files need to be deleted based on number of hours.

I agree that this is probably doing what it is supposed to do based on looking simply at the hours. My concern is that the warning is showing in the Minion.BackupLog and Minion.BackupLogDetails tables even when the files are removed and the DeleteDateTime and IsDeleted are being populated correctly in the Minion.BackupFiles table.

I will try the workaround and see if that has any affect. I will post an update on that shortly.

Actually I was only looking at the dates.  I'll take another look at the status col.  Can you also show me exact warning you're getting in the log?

I sent over a few records of both the Minion.BackupLog and Minion.BackupLogDetails table. As I have said before, the files are being deleted from disk so I'm not sure why it would be erroring/warning.

Here, try this version.

sql

That worked, thanks Sean! I should have seen that PRINT statement as the issues, but I'm just glad it's resolved.

Anytime man, as soon as I saw the actual error I knew what the issue was.

Login or Signup to post a comment