Start a new topic

Resume after reboot during backup?

My SharePoint server got the dreaded Windows Update reboot during the weekly Full backup, and those BackupLogDetails records stayed "In Queue", even after the subsequent Differential backups, and of course no Full backup was had for that or subsequent databases. Is there a way to resume those "In Queue" backups? Or some other way to make sure I have a Full every week?

BTW, The 'Missing' keyword in the @Include field didn't do anything for Full, but I'm guessing it was because the Diffs had already run and they were no longer 'Missing'?

Well, the Missing keyword should work for any backup type.  What should happen is it should look at the last time that last backup type ran, and find anything that didn't complete.  Then it should run those.  I won't change the In Queue status from that last run though.  It'll make its own entries in the log.  And that's because they could be taken right after the original failures or several days later and having the original timestamp would simply be a lie.

What's the PctComplete for those missing backups?  I checked the code and here's the logic.

PctComplete < 100
   OR PctComplete IS NULL

So it should have caught them.  It also shouldn't make a different whether or not another backuptype was run in between.  Were there any full backup that ran between the original job and the Missing run?

The PctComplete was 84 and NULL for the skipped and... Aha, my coworker did run Full manually for that one database. I'm guessing that's what shut down the Missing option...   I just added a row in the schedule that should pick up any Missing full backups the next day. Thanks for the support.

That's exactly right.  It only looks at the last run from the backuptype so that full that was taken kicked it out of the running.  And since that other DB succeeded, then there were no missing backups for that run.

And setting up a Missing schedule is exactly how I intended that to be used.  We often look at when the job finishes and then schedule a Missing run for like an hr after that so we don't throw off the delete schedule too much.  But next day is ok too.

Login or Signup to post a comment